A potted history of Merry Hill School.
Merry Hill is a school which is steeped in history. Its origins can be traced right back to the founding of the Bushey National Schools, as long ago as 1827.
The current Merry Hill buildings are a mix of old and new. The main building dates from 1885. In March 1885, the school housed the Bushey Girls’ Board School. In 1908, a fire destroyed an extensive part of this building and it was rebuilt and extended in 1909. A new hall was added in 1939. The old part of the school is a building of great warmth and character, which has been extensively modernised over the years. The second building dates from the 70s and houses the Reception classrooms, dining room, administrative offices and Nursery unit.
Since the inception of the Girls’ Board School in 1879 through to the current Merry Hill Infants’ School and Nursery, there have been only 14 Headteachers.
Merry Hill School has retained its friendly village school atmosphere. It is pleasantly situated in a four acre site and includes a playground and two low level adventure play areas, a large field, a wildlife area and a pond area.