This week in Lions and Panthers we have been looking at 2D shapes. We learnt that 2D shapes are flat shapes that are closed. We have been learning the names of different shapes and their properties.
We have also looked at different variations of shapes. We discussed whether or not they still belong to the shape family even if they look different.
Year 1 now know:
- A triangle has 3 straight sides and 3 corners.
- A square has 4 straight sides, all the same length and 4 corners.
- An oblong has 4 straight sides and 4 corners, 2 sides are longer and 2 sides are shorter.
- A circle has 1 round side and no corners.
- A pentagon has 5 sides and 5 corners.
- A hexagon has 6 sides and 6 corners.
How you can help at home:
You can go on a shape hunt on your way to school and on your way home to see if you can find any shapes on houses, cars or the ground.